Friday, 19 February 2016

I just love terraced houses...




I have a thing for terraced houses. A big thing. Personally, I find them very aesthetically pleasing. Whilst others long for a gleaming, ultra-modern pad, I long for a cute, redbrick mid-terrace, complete with courtyard and back alley. Maybe it's because I've grown up in Birmingham, where there are lots of redbrick terraces, and have a keen passion for Birmingham's lost back to back style houses (I'm a nerd). I hate that the vast majority of Britain's Victorian houses have been lost. Every building has history, and it makes me sad that so much history has been bulldozed. Maybe my longing to preserve old architecture fuels my love of terraces...







Regardless of where my obsession comes from, it makes me smile at the symmetrical rows of terraces and their back alleyways... the red brick feel cosy and familiar to me, and I just want to explore and take a few snaps. I live in Manchester now and luckily many old houses remain - think Coronation Street style! I can definitely see myself living in a terrace in a Manchester suburb in a few years time... they're often pretty cheap too! Next academic year, my friend and I are renting a redbrick terrace in an area that's dominated by them. It's even got a little yard and a back alleyway... heavenly. 




I'm aware that I probably sound a bit nuts, but we all have our own tastes. My family home has some classic red bricks that are so prominent in industrial cities, but I suppose it's kind of weird that I adore terraces when I haven't lived in one (yet!). But I love how they're typically British and full of character. The majority were built during the Industrial Revolution, a watershed event that created modern Britain and shaped my hometowns of Birmingham and Manchester... and I can't get enough of 'em. 

What kind of houses do you like? Are you all for modern chic, or do you prefer old and characterful? 


Polly
x

19 comments:

  1. Hi Polly ;-)

    Terraced houses are amazing, and the areas just have an inexplicable vibe that I love

    (p.s so glad you're gonna get the chance to live in one this year!) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give me a Victorian home over a modern home any day of the week. We live in a terraced home with a front and back garden. For some reason I cannot abide by houses with front doors that open onto the actual Street. As cosy as they look, I would feel exposed and vulnerable - sounds weird I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about houses that open directly onto the road! Preferably I would like a Victorian terrace with a porch haha ;) x

      Delete
  3. I live in a terraced house, they're so cosy and lovely! I live in one which has shared access to our back doors and stuff. I move next weekend and going to miss the community we've created from 4 houses! but i'm only moving across the road ;)

    Emmie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww that sounds so lovely and old fashioned and just so English! xx

      Delete
  4. Hey,
    I completely get where you're coming from 😂.
    Me though, I love a good flat, not ground floor but not top. A flat with a small stair case inside, much like my student accommodation now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,
    I completely get where you're coming from 😂.
    Me though, I love a good flat, not ground floor but not top. A flat with a small stair case inside, much like my student accommodation now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm from the US and I used to live in this beautiful Victorian house, so I guess I'm pretty biased to that style. I also love anything that looks cottage-y. Although, I've always loved the look of the British houses you were talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cottage-y houses too! My mom always tries to make our house look cottage-y and cosy :) x

      Delete
  7. I do love looking at terraces but definitely feel like I want a detached! It's the NZ in me. I loooove the red brick though, definitely my fave style!

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Detached houses do feel nice and spacious :) Red brick is definitely my fave style too! x

      Delete
  8. I love terraced houses too! Me and my boyfriend have just moved into an amazing victorian terraced house in our town and it's got all the beautiful features that I've always wanted. If I couldn't live here though, I'd definitely pick a modern open plan city apartment! Something about the big city life has always appealed so much to me! x

    Always, Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds gorgeous!! I've always envisioned me and my boyfriend moving into a terrace together in the future :) x

      Delete
  9. I'm right there with you. There's something about the rustic, red brick terraced houses that feels warm and comfortable. Great post.
    // ▲ conundrumofcoitus.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's pretty I found this post as I adore terraces houses! I live in Belgium and we were pretty influenced by the British in our industrial cities. I lived in an old mining area and I was born in a terraced house. I love them all sitting nicely in rows. I would never buy a freshly built house or build my own, I would prefer to buy a little old terraced house that's not too expensive and renovate it. I also much prefer live in little houses as to not accumulate too much stuff for the sake of space! Well, I loved this post! You have some cute terraces homes in Birmigham and Manchester!
    Clem | Ravacholle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about Belgium! Thank you for commenting :) I totally agree about not wanting a new house! I want a cosy lived in house with character! x

      Delete